Sunday, March 18, 2007

St. Patty's Day Parade


Today we went to Gulfport's St. Patrick's Day Parade after church. First, it's weird to me that Gulfport has a St. Patrick's Day parade. Second, it was so funny to be there and see young dads with their beards dyed green, old men jumping for green beads, everyone dressed in green. The throw the traditional bead necklaces but also wooden nickels, cabbages, potatoes and carrots.

Highlights of the day:

A man that had to be 90 years old with a green sequined hat on, pushing his oxygen tank with a big tobacco chew in his cheek. I was beside him when he reached down to grab a handful of beads and then he looked at me and said, "I hit the jackpot"

Tyler being handed a paper flower by a man in the parade who stuck out his cheek to receive a kiss from her and she drew back, he stuck his face out further, she drew back further, etc.

Eben holding his sweet hand out about an inch from his chest hoping beads would magically fall into his hand and then giving up to eat a peppermint.



Scott holding kids on his shoulders the whole time and also getting plugged in the face by flying necklaces.



Tate sleeping in my new (borrowed) mei tei through crazy loud music, me leaping this way and that way to avoid various "throws" that were being pitched in my direction.

The downer of the day: I was holding our digital camera in my hand when a huge bunch of necklaces hit it and it flew out of my grasp and onto the road. It's broken for good - I was able to rescue these pictures off the card but otherwise, it's a goner!

3 comments:

Linda said...

hey hey castleman's!
sorry i missed the parade, it sounds like ya'll had tons of fun! sorry to hear about the camera!

Mike said...

What a crazy day!! Sounds like Mardi Gras or something with all the beads. Too bad about the camera.

Geek Mom said...

at least the parade wasn't as trashy as the one in jackson...you know, half-nekkid sweet potato queen wannabes prancing around and all that hip gyrating that goes on. sigh. i'm sorry i missed it this year!!!!